Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Organizing the Closet

Once your closet is purged you can begin the organizing process.  Here are some tips to start you off on organizing the remaining items.  Hang on.  Things are about to get detailed :)

1.  Hang everything you can. Personal items, pajamas and shorts are appropriate to have in drawers.

2.  From left to right in the closet hang:

Dresses
Tank tops
Short sleeve tops
Long sleeve tops
Cardigans, blazers, vests and Jean jackets
Dress pants and jeans
Active Wear

***You could also further separate by following this same format only with dress clothes first, casual next and then active.  I mix my casual and dress clothing so that's why I keep it all together.

3.  Fold sweaters on shelves. You can also fold sweat pants or active shorts and place them on the shelf above the active tops.  It just depends on your set up.

4.  Use the rainbow as a color guide ROY G BIV.  White goes first, then the colors, brown, grey and black is last.

5.  Keep a donation bin in your closet for items you no longer need or use.  When it's full get rid of the extra stuff!

6.  Use a tote for extra shoes.  I only keep the shoes I'm wearing by the door.

7.  Hang scarves and belts on hooks or on hangers.  Accessories can be a nice break between your regular clothes and active wear.

Here are some pictures of my purged and organized closets.  One is for my summer clothing and the other for winter.  Less stuff means less decisions and less stress.  Everything I have I love and it fits!


You may be able to tell that we live in a home built in the late 1950's.  We have very small closets which in the end promote accumulating less.  My husband was kind enough to build a closet in his office so these two little ones are all mine.




I hope this inspires you to pare down and organize your closet to only your favorite pieces.  You won't regret it once you see the finished project!

No comments:

Post a Comment